Join our event that will take you on a journey exploring the arts and cultural sectors of South East Asia.
Date: 22 – 25 November 2021
Every day from 9am UK time
The arts and culture sector in South East Asia is rich and diverse. The region is home to a fast-growing population that is young and digitally savvy. The median age is 30 and the digital economy in South East Asia has expanded threefold between 2015-2019 and represents 7 percent of the regions US$2.8 trillion GDP. This presents tremendous opportunities for collaboration in the arts and creative industries in terms of influencing policy, international market development and knowledge exchange.
Partner South East Asia is a series of online forums presented by the British Council that aims to provide participants with a better understanding and knowledge of the arts and culture ecosystems of Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, The Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Who is the event for?
The event is aimed at UK and SEA arts and cultural professionals, academics, funders and government officials who are interested in connecting and collaborating with their respective counterparts.
We expect participants attending the event –
- To increase their knowledge of SEA arts and culture through SEA country briefings and thematic sessions
- To develop new connections between SEA and UK arts and culture stakeholders through networking opportunities
- To understand better the role of the British Council in facilitating UK-SEA relationships for the Arts and Culture sector and learn about future opportunities
The four-day online event will be in English with live captioning in the South East Asian languages and will include the following sessions:
- Opening session including a keynote speech on the potential of South East Asia’s creative economy followed by an artist panel discussion (75 mins)
- Five dedicated country briefing sessions (90 mins each)
- Three thematic sessions covering the creative economy, arts and inclusion and climate change and cultural rights (60 mins each)
- Dedicated networking functions to meet counterparts for future collaborations (ongoing during the event)
- Watch our showreels and discover artistic collaborations between artists and creative professionals from the UK and South East Asia
- Over 70 inspiring speakers from the UK and South East Asia
||Time (UK)||Time (ID)||Session|
||09.00–10.15 (UK)||16.00 - 17.15 WIB||Opening session: Partner South East Asia: Arts and Culture Matters|
|10.30–11.30 (UK)||17.30 - 18.30 WIB||Thematic session 1:
Creative Economy: How Networks Shape Creative Ecosystems
||09.00–10.30 (UK)||16.00 - 17.30 WIB||Indonesia: Beyond the Art of 'Nongkrong'|
|10.45–12.15 (UK)||17.45 - 19.15 WIB||Malaysia Now: Arts and Culture Mosaic|
|12.30–13.30 (UK)||19.30 - 20.30 WIB||Thematic session 2:
Climate Change: What Does it Mean for Arts and Cultural Rights?
||16.00 - 17.30 WIB||The Viet Nam Connections|
|10.45–12.15 (UK)||17.45 - 19.15 WIB||Thailand: Arts for Change|
||19.30 - 20.30 WIB||Thematic session 3: Arts for All?|
||09.00–10.30 (UK)||16.00 - 17.30||The Philippines: Entry Points Between the Philippines and UK|
||17.45 - 19.15||Live networking session: Connections That Count|